May 2014 marks HRMC's
30th anniversary...and 43 million job interviews conducted by
Acclaim, our flagship interviewing platform. When we introduced
Acclaim, the idea that you could use technology to improve the way
we engage and evaluate job candidates was completely novel. In
fact, to large swaths of hiring managers, it still is.
With 43 million interviews under our belt, I thought I'd post
thoughts on some of the key things we've
- Resumes are best viewed as marketing documents that provide
little more than forensic hints of past behavior.
- Rather than relying on past credentials - which may not be
accurately presented -- it is better -- and more revealing -- to
focus on a person's ability to do the job under consideration.
- To consistently identify top performers, you have to know what
you're hunting for before you begin the hunt,
- Inaccurate, inconsistent results often stem from not
identifying the systemic drivers, of top performance.
- Video interviewing changes the focus of the interaction from
content to performance -- not all top performers have the ability
to "perform" for the camera.
- If you think everyone is completely comfortable using a
computer and the Internet, go spend a day at a station in your own
company's help desk department.
- There are lots of books on interview questions; there are no
books on understanding what the answers will mean..
Candidate assessment has come a long way over the past 30 years.
To all our customers, associates and partners, thank you for
supporting and inspiring us. We look forward to many more
productive years ahead.